- Each day we ride a different, unique and beautiful paved bike trail.
- The 5 flat paved bike paths are:
- Pinellas Trail
- Suncoast Trail
- Withlacoochee State Trail
- West Orange Trail
- Van Fleet State Trail/Auburndale TECO Trail
- We ride each path only one way, no doubling back or repeating on the path, so we get to see the most that each path has to offer.
- Unpack only one time! We stay at the same hotel for the entire bicycle tour.
- Florida holds the title for the most days in a row of sunshine - 768 days!
- The State of Florida puts in $25 million per year into the state's bike paths. You will love them!
- We get nice temperatures (or fabulous temperatures if compared to the temperatures up north in February); take a look at Florida temperatures in the parts we will be visiting: 74° average high in February!
- Not only will we see the beautiful Gulf of Mexico, but also have to see beautiful farmland, wide open fields, palm trees and swamps all from your bicycle!
- Spinach Salad - Baby spinach, feta, walnuts, cranberries, raisins and Vidalia onion peppercorn dressing
Shrimp-n-Grits - One dozen gulf shrimp, sautéed in A Matter of Taste's homemade Charmagne Sauce (tomato sauce with white wine and fresh vegetables) over a bed of yummy cheese grits.
Fish Charmagne - Hand floured and lightly fried white fish with Charmagne sauce and crumbled feta cheese over yellow rice
Ybor City Chicken - Grilled chicken breast covered with homemade tomato sauce over yellow rice with black beans & plantains
California Chicken Salad on Croissants - Two croissants filled with A Matter of Taste's delicious California Chicken Salad, served with lettuce and tomatoes
The Classic Grand Champion Burger - 1/2 Pound Fresh Black Angus Burger, hand formed and topped with Applewood bacon, cheddar &/or pepper-jack cheese, lettuce, tomato and sliced red onion; grilled to order and dressed your way. Served with endless French fries. (Note: one of the best burgers we have enjoyed at any restaurant in the U.S.)
Today is bike path number 2 - The Suncoast Trail that is part of Florida's Greenway and Trails System. The riding begins on the Upper Tampa Bay Trail and parallels the Suncoast Parkway. It passes through a gathering of suburban, agricultural and natural areas where you will see the trail's historic significance. You will want to check out the Jay B. Starkey Wilderness Preserve on your ride through this area. There are waterways and amazing views of natural areas that will be beautiful from your bicycle.
Breakfast provide by the hotel each morning
Bicycling Route: 0 miles, staying at the hotel; 42 miles, taking the SAG vehicle to the trailhead and riding the complete Suncoast Trail and then taking the SAG vehicle back to the hotel at the trail end. [The route is on the paved Upper Tampa Bay and Suncoast Trails.]
- Garden Dinner Salad - Fresh greens, tomatoes, cucumbers and onions with your choice of dressing.
Ribeye Steak - Served with vegetables, fries, slaw, three bean salad, red bliss potatoes or garlic mashed potatoes
Stuffed Grouper - Stuffed and baked with crab meat then topped with hollandaise sauce. Served with vegetables, fries, slaw, three bean salad, red bliss potatoes or garlic mashed potatoes
Fried Shrimp - Lightly battered and fried to perfection. Served with vegetables, fries, slaw, three bean salad, red bliss potatoes or garlic mashed potatoes (Note: the fried shrimp was delicious - one of the best in recent memory)
Smothered Chicken - Tender breast of grilled chicken topped with sautéed mushrooms, onions and provolone cheese. Served with vegetables, fries, slaw, three bean salad, red bliss potatoes or garlic mashed potatoes
Day 4, Tuesday - March 24, 2020
- House Salad or Soup
Lasagna - Layered lasagna noodles, beef, ricotta cheese, tomato sauce, and baked mozzarella cheese.
Spaghetti with Meatballs - Seasoned meatballs atop a bed of pasta covered in rich tomato sauce. Served with Parmesan cheese.
Stuffed Shells - Italian-American stuffed shells, a classic baked pasta dish, are plump with a flavorful ricotta filling, coated in tomato sauce, and draped in melted mozzarella cheese.
chicken or Eggplant Parmesan - Roasted garlic mashed potatoes, wild mushroom sauté and brown butter béarnaise
Meatball Arrabiatta - Fresh chicken or eggplant layered with cheese, tomato sauce and mozzarella on top of pasta.
- Cheesecake, Canoli & Tiramisu
- Riders who are comfortable riding at least 10 miles per hour should have an enjoyable trip. The routes are primarily on bike paths with a little riding on bicycle designated or low traffic roads. Please see the daily routes descriptions for additional information. Of course, if a rider is tired or does not feel like riding, the SAG vehicle will transport the rider to the hotel. All riders may ride at their own pace, slow or fast or anything in-between.
- Drive to the Hampton Inn Dade City-Zephyrhills, 13215 US Hwy 301, Dade City, Florida 33525, leaving your car at the starting hotel for the duration of the trip.
- Fly directly into Tampa International Airport (TPA), 45 miles from the starting hotel; or fly directly into St. Petersburg-Clearwater International Airport (PIE), 55 miles to the starting hotel; or fly directly into the Orlando International Airport (MCO), 75 miles from the starting hotel; and then rent a car to trip start.
- $200 to reserve your spot and the remainder due 45 days before the trip start.
- Hotel lodging
- Ride packets, including maps & cue sheets (directions)
- Fully sagged, including ride leaders, luggage transport, SAG vehicle transportation and rider assistance
- Breakfast each morning
- Dinner with the group three nights (see above)
- Great riding, scenery, fun and enjoyment!
- Most participants bring their own bicycles
- To ship your bike, we would suggest using shipbikes.com or bikeflight.com for shipping.To ship your bike to the hotel: Hampton Inn Dade City-Zephyrhills, 13215 US Hwy 301, Dade City, FL 33525
If you fly Alaska Air then bicycles can be carried on for $25 each way as of 2019; please see Alaskaair.com for full details.
- To rent a bicycle, please contact Citrus Park Bikes, 7424 Edgemere Rd, Tampa, Florida located about 11 miles from the Tampa International Airport https://citrusparkbikes.com
- Average High 79° in Dade City/Zephyrhills, Florida