- Ride on two of the longest paved and most beautiful levee trails, while bicycling on the Mississippi River Levee Trails overlooking the largest river in the United States.
- Riding atop the levee you can watch the Mississippi River for almost the entire ride into or from New Orleans starting from the Audubon Zoo in New Orleans one day and riding on the opposite side - the West Bank - of the river ending in Algiers another day.
- Along the way watch the "mighty Mississippi" from behind your handlebars and also see the 1.5 mile Bonnet Carre Spillway. One of the nicest features of the levee trail is the very limited number of service roads along the route, so just pure bicycling at its best.
- One last item of note, these are some of the flattest trails you will ever ride!
- We stay close to New Orleans, but not too close so we can experience the wonders and sights of New Orleans, during the day and stay in the small town of Covington at night.
- We will see and experience the French Quarter, Jackson Square and City Park.
- In addition, we will ride bike trails overlooking Lake Pontchartrain and bicycle the top-rated rail-to-trail paved bike path in Louisiana the Tammany Trace trail in Covington.
- One final note: USA Today named the New Orleans areas as one of the top 50 best cities for bicycling.
The entire area is best known for its great food scene and quirky/fun and unique shops. We will stay across Lake Pontchartrain from New Orleans and ride in, around and on the bike paths surrounding New Orleans. This is an amazing bicycling area and a must see for anyone, who bicycles the area. There is something for everyone. In addition to the New Orleans area that we all know or have researched, we will stay in the small city of Covington, which features:
- Abita Roasting Co. Covington - This roasting company has great coffee and an excellent cafe. This location boasts a diverse menu and the freshest coffee around. Abita has prepared and roasted coffee from all over the world.
- Brooks' Bike Shop, Covington, Louisiana - The veteran-owned small business owner is passionate about all kinds of bicycles.
- Cafe Du Monde - Eat a beignet at this popular location in Covington, Louisiana. It began as a coffee stand outside the old French Market in New Orleans.
- Columbia Street Tap Room and Grill - Offering excellent food, music and also thirty different beers on tap, around sixty bottled beers, premium wines by the glass and a full service bar.
- Business Center
- HD TVs
- Fitness Center
- Coin Laundry
- Swimming Pool
Tomato Basil Chicken – Grilled chicken breast, angel hair pasta, tomatoes, basil, olive oil, garlic, parmesan cheese.
Garden Chicken – Seared chicken, sauteed mushrooms, squash noodles, steamed broccoli, lemon butter sauce.
Chicken and Waffles – Buttermilk waffles, seasoned chicken cutlets topped with powdered sugar, cane syrup.
Shrimp Etouffee – Shrimp in a dark roux-based sauce, garlic, green onions, spices, served over steamed rice.
Jambalaya Pasta – Since 1983, Gulf Shrimp, chicken, andouille sausage, spicy jambalaya sauce, mushrooms, peppers, bow tie pasta.
- TBD – TBD
We ride today on what was once the railroad and lifeblood of St. Tammany Parish. Now called The Tammany Trace, it is Louisiana's first and only rails-to-trails conversion. This multi-purpose public trail was created as a result of the Illinois Central Railroad corridor, meandering through pine trees, live oaks, and magnolias in Covington, Louisiana.
- Seafood Platter – Stuffed crab, stuffed Gulf shrimp, fried Louisiana catfish, fried Gulf shrimp, fried Louisiana Gulf oysters and shrimp etouffee. Served with French fries and coleslaw.
- Crawfish Etouffee – Louisiana crawfish, onion, bell pepper and celery in a light roux, served over rice.
- The Fourchon – Fried Gulf fish topped with jumbo lump crab cream sauce. Served with sweet corn grits.
- Shrimp Dinner – A cup of shrimp gumbo, stuffed Gulf shrimp, fried Gulf shrimp, shrimp au gratin, Jacked up Shrimp, shrimp etouffee and a stuffed potato.
Please note all trip information is based on previous trips and/or contracted lodging and restaurants and is subject to change based on availability or specific trip needs.
- Hotel lodging
- Ride Packets with Cue Sheets (directions)
- Garmin/GPS routes to download
- Google Maps routes for your iPhone or Android Phone
- Fully sagged including van transportation and rider assistance.
- Breakfast each morning
- Happy Hours (BYOB) on selected evenings
- Dinner with the group three evenings (see above)
- Great riding, scenery, fun and enjoyment!
- Most participants bring their own bicycles
- To ship your bike, we would suggest using shipbikes.com or bikeflight.com for shipping. To ship your bike to the hotel: Comfort Suites Mandeville - Covington, 68073 Highway 59, Mandeville, LA 70471
- If you fly, most major airlines including Delta, American, United and Alaska Air now waive the oversize fee for bicycles (sporting equipment) and just the standard luggage fee applies. Please contact your airline for all the details.
- Bike Rental: Bikes are available for rent in the Covington/New Orleans area. We suggest conducting a Google search to find the best place to accommodate your needs.
$200 due to reserve your spot and the remainder due 45 days before the trip start.
Average High 74°F