- Cycle through the Arizona Sonoran Desert, an amazing experience and a great way to start off the new year with a perfect warm ride!
- Unpack only one time! We stay at the same hotel for the entire bicycle tour.
- We will see the largest cacti (cacti=plural for cactus) in the U.S. throughout the Saguaro National Park, visiting and riding through both the East and West parks.
- "The Loop," a completely paved bike path that encircles the city of Tucson and overlooks the Santa Cruz and Arroyo Chico rivers is located a few feet from our hotel.
- The sites in the Sonoran desert are beautiful and although we are not climbing mountains, we are taking in all the beauty of the mountains, plains and foothills surrounding us.
- Before we even see our first mirage, we will take in the two visually dominant life forms of plants specifically found in the Sonoran Desert: legume trees and columnar cactus/cacti from behind our handle bars
- In addition, we of course will see two of the most well known artist and craft communities in Arizona: Tubac and Patagonia
- Snack on some of the best homemade pastries available anywhere in the U.S. at the Tubac Deli & Coffee Co.
- In addition take time to explore on your own the various tourist destinations in the Tucson area on your own, including Biosphere 2, which was originally built to show the viability of human life in outer space; Tombstone, know for its western history and the shootout at O.K. Corral reenactment; or if you are very adventurous climb/ride down Mount Lemmon.
- The hotel is located only a very short walk from baggage claim at the Tucson Airport. So if you fly into the trip, just walk to the hotel or take the hotel shuttle.
- The untouched beauty of the Arizona desert are sights to remember for years into the future.
- All Pastas are made in house daily, since 1956 -
El Corral Garden Salad
- Homemade Pasta - Choice of linguini, Fettuccini, whole wheat linguini, rigatoni, spaghetti, shells or "zoodles"; or Ravioli with meat or cheese; or tortellini. Choose your favorite marinara, pesto or Alfredo sauce.
- Joe's Special (Signature dish since 1956) - house-made linguini / hot pepper seeds / garlic oil / melted cheese / house sauce with chicken or shrimp.
- Eggplant or Chicken (no hormone/no antibiotics) Parmesan - breaded eggplant / marinara sauce / three cheeses. Traditional or Joe's Style.
- Lasagna - baked fresh pasta / three cheeses / seasoned beef and pork / house sauce. Traditional or Joe's Style.
- Chicken or Veal Picatta - lemon caper sauce / fresh linguini / house sauce
Lodging (for the entire bicycle tour):
- Swimming Pool
- Hot Tub
- Hotel Shuttle
- Business Center
Little Mexico Restaurant
- Combination Plates - Choices of Tacos, Enchiladas, Chile Rellenos, taquitos and flautas
- Fajitas - Shrimp, Beef or Chicken
- Little Mexico Combo Special - Cheese Enchilada, Shredded Beef Taco, Red Tamale and Chile Relleno
- Build your own Specialty Meal
Day 5, Wednesday
On your own
Day 6, Thursday
The Loop Bicycle Path and the Pima Air & Space Museum
Dos Tacos - Grilled or crispy fish, pork carnitas, grilled chicken or carne asada on corn or four tortillas featuring avocado-corn salsa, pico salsa, southwestern rice and black beans
Catch '22 Fish & Chips - Icelandic cod hand dipped in beer patter, pub slaw, French fries and tarter sauce
1922 Burger with Cheese - On local brioche bun with fries or side salad
Malibu Salad with Chicken - Grilled or crispy all-natural chicken breast, mixed greens, ranch, cheddar, applewood bacon, avocado-corn salsa
Chicken Alfredo - Penne pasta, basil & tomatos, parmigiana, chicken and house bread stick
Riders who are comfortable riding at least 10 miles per hour should have an enjoyable trip. We have designed the routes utilizing bike paths wherever possible with the first and last day utilizing bike paths. Though we are surrounded by mountains the routes were designed to have very little climbing as possible since we are in the foothills. Of course, if a rider is tired or does not feel like riding, the SAG vehicle will transport the rider back to the hotel. All routes are on paved bike paths and low-volume roads. All riders may ride at their own pace, slow or fast.
Drive to the Hampton Inn Tucson-Airport, 6971 S Tucson Blvd, Tucson, Arizona 85756, having your car at the hotel for the duration of the trip.
- $200 to reserve your spot and the remainder due 45 days before the trip start.
- Hotel lodging
- Ride Packets with Cue Sheets (directions)
- Garmin/GPS routes to download
- Google Maps routes for your iPhone or Android Phone
- Fully sagged including van transportation and rider assistance.
- Breakfast each morning
- Happy Hours (BYOB) on selected evenings
- Dinner with the group three evenings (see above)
- Great riding, scenery, fun and enjoyment!
- Most riders bring their own bicycles.
- To ship your bike: we would suggest using shipbikes.com or bikeflight.com for shipping directly to the starting hotel: Hampton Inn Tucson-Airport, 6971 S Tucson Blvd, Tucson, Arizona 85756
- If you fly, most major airlines including Delta, American, United and Alaska Air now waive the oversize fee for bicycles (sporting equipment) and just the standard luggage fee applies. Please contact your airline for all the details.
- Bike Rental: Bikes are available for rent in the Tucson area. We suggest conducting a Google search to find the best place to accommodate your needs.
- Average High 85°F, Average Low 54°F