- Come join us on every cyclist's dream vacation, traveling through the most amazing views of coastal Maine or as Travel and Leisure magazine calls Maine, “New England's crowning gem!”
- We start in Kennebunkport, Maine. New Englanders have enjoyed this quiet coastal Maine town for years.
- Our welcome dinner will be at the famous Federal Jack's restaurant, eating outside to help us assimilate to the wonderful weather and environment of Maine.
The next day we ride the Acadia National Park Loop Road, the ride that every cyclist in the area has completed and is the most beautiful ride in Maine. After the ride, we have plenty of time to explore Bar Harbor with its hundreds of shops, restaurants and activities before spending two nights in Bar Harbor, the most vibrant port city in Maine.
- The next morning we wake and spend a second day in Bar Harbor or drive to the famous Schoodic Peninsula for an optional bike ride that bicyclists in Maine consider a hidden sanctuary
- The following day our adventure takes us to the city of Rockland, which probably has the most museums per capita of any city in the world. Spend the day enjoying the museums or we ride the recommended state of Maine bike route through the seaside areas, seaports, farmland and beaches.
- We wake-up the next morning and travel to Portland. named one of "The Most Beautiful Towns in America" by Conde Nast Traverler in 2019. We take Portland's bike path and ride a combination of bike paths and designated bike routes all the way to Kennebunk, traveling through forests, marshes, ocean views and farmland.
- Our final day of riding takes us to and along the beaches of Kennebunk, as well as through the thriving Kennebunk downtown with its shops and restaurants.
- Overall, we bike the best bicycle routes and experience why Maine is one of the most popular bicycling destinations.
Lobster Mac-N-Cheese - Cavatappi pasta tossed with a creamy cheese sauce and topped with a fresh lobster. Served with garlic bread.
Stuffed Lobster - Lobster stuffed and baked with our shrimp, scallop and butter cracker stuffing and topped with our lobster sauce. Served with fries and coleslaw.
Fish Taco - Blackened Haddock, lettuce, salsa, cherry pepper aoli served with black bean rice.
Pan Roasted Orange Salmon - Atlantic salmon served with an orange butter glaze, wild rice and asparagus.
Meat and ricotta lasagna - Traditional lasagna layered with our own fresh pasta, sausage, ground beef and ricotta and provolone cheeses topped with our hearty Bolognese sauce. Served with garlic bread.
Acadia National Park's Park Loop Road & Bar Harbor
Sunday we will drive to Acadia National Park next to Bar Harbor, which was named one of the 10 Prettiest Coastal Towns of Maine by New England Today and if you ask Travel and Leisure, it is one of the best places to bike in Maine! We will leave the hotel on our bikes and be in the park within minutes as we ride on the Park Loop Road in Acadia National Park on Mount Desert Island. The route connects the beautiful lakes, mountains, forests and rocky coast. Park Loop Road construction began in 1922 and continued through the 1950s and was partially financed by John D. Rockefeller, Jr. We will take our time and enjoy the sights, nature and scenery. We will keep an eye out for wildlife in the early morning. After the ride, we have all afternoon and evening to experience all Bar Harbor has to offer, including an optional Lulu Lobster Boat Ride ($35) hosted on the only traditional downeast-style lobster boat as we watch lobster fishing, which goes on all day; witness the seals at Egg Rock Lighthouse and view other sights from the comfort of the boat or take in shops, restaurants and other activities such as kayaking or paddle boarding that Bar Harbor has to offer.
Breakfast provided by the hotel each morning.
Bicycling Route: "Free Day" to ride on your own. 0 miles, staying at the hotel; or as an option we are taking the vans and trailers to the Pickled Wrinkle for people who would like to ride on their own in the Schoodic District of Acadia National Park: 11 miles, on Maine route 186 and Loop Road within the park; or 21 miles, riding Loop Road and then proceeding to the working lobster wharf of Corea. Please note: This is an optional and independent ride. Due to National Park restrictions, we cannot offer SAG support within the Schoodic Peninsula of Acadia National Park. We are only offering transportation to near the park. [The route is flat within the park with some rolling hills on Route 186 and the longer distant options.]
Seafood Platter - Maine Haddock, Native Shrimp, Sea Scallops, Whole Belly Clams - all platters come with fries and coleslaw - all seafood is lightly breaded and prepared in trans fat fee canola.
Grilled Chicken or Shrimp or Scallops Alfredo - creamy parmesan wine sauce over linguini
Fried Shrimp - Freshly caught and hand breaded served with fries and coleslaw
Jumbo Shrimp Scampi - Light & lovely w/garlic & wine over Linguini with shaved Parmesan Cheese
Vegetarian Roasted Vegetable Pasta - Roasted Summer Squash, Red Peppers, Zucchini, Red Onion, Carrots, Tomato, Parmesan and Asiago Cheeses Basil Peso and White wine.
- Garden Salad - mixed greens topped with cucumber, grape tomato, green bell peppers, red onion, kalamata olives, white cheddar cheese and diced dill pickles
- Billy's Signature Clam Chowder - Award Winning
New York Strip - hand trimmed, 10 oz lean choice beef, cut daily and flame-broiled.
Grilled Chicken Breast - tender chicken breast prepared with Billy's exclusive herb blend or your choice of plain, bbq, cajun or teriyaki style.
Fish Tacos - three soft taco shells with lightly spiced fried haddock, pico de gallo, chopped lettuce, shredded mozzarella with chipotle sauce on the side.
Fried Shrimp - fresh shrimp, hand breaded and cooked to perfection.
Stuffed Haddock - baked north Atlantic haddock filled with Billy's signature seafood stuffing.
Day 7, Friday - September 11, 2020
- Riders who are comfortable riding at least 10 miles per hour should have an enjoyable trip. The routes on some of the most popular and recommended bike routes in Maine. Please see the daily routes descriptions for additional information. Of course, if a rider is tired or does not feel like riding, the SAG vehicle will transport the rider to the hotel. All riders may ride at their own pace, slow or fast or anything in-between.
- Drive to the Hampton Inn Kennebunkport, 6 Independence Drive, Kennebunk, ME 04043; leaving your car at the starting hotel for the duration of the trip. Or, if you prefer, you can drive your personal vehicle each day. The only day the ride does not end at your vehicle will be on Wednesday in Portland, and we will van (about 30 minutes) back to your vehicle after all riders are accounted for at the hotel.
- Fly directly to Portland International Jetport (PWM) in Maine, 22 miles from the starting hotel.
- $200 to reserve your spot and the remainder due 45 days before the trip start.
- Hotel lodging
- Ride packets, including maps & cue sheets (directions)
- Fully sagged, including ride leaders, luggage transport, SAG vehicle transportation and rider assistance
- Breakfast each morning
- Dinner with the group three nights (see above)
- Great riding, scenery, fun and enjoyment!
- If you have an America the Beautiful Interagency Pass (Annual / Senior / Military / Access / Volunteer Pass) with valid ID, entrance fees are waived for the pass-holder and up to 3 additional adults, provided they are on a bicycle and simultaneously enter Acadia National Parks; otherwise there is an additional $15 entry fee per person for Acadia National Park.
- Most participants bring their own bicycles
- To ship your bike, we would suggest using shipbikes.com or bikeflight.com for shipping. Hampton Inn Kennebunkport, 6 Independence Drive, Kennebunk, ME 04043
- If you fly Alaska Air then bicycles can be carried on for $25 each way as of 2018; please see Alaskaair.com for full details.
To rent a bicycle, please contact Gorham Bike & Ski 207-604-1136
- Average High 72° in Kennebunkport, Maine
- Average High 69° in Bar Harbor, Maine
- Average High 71° in Rockland, Maine